Saturday, December 22, 2018

Resolution Run 2018

I can't believe another year has passed. I set out 6 years ago to run at least 1 race a month to keep me motivated. 72 months straight. Haven't missed a month yet! This year I accomplished some really amazing goals. I finished my first 50 miler, as well as five 50k's this year. I completed an insane 22 races this year, bringing my 6 year count to 99 races. So many wonderful runs this year and time spent with wonderful people. 2018 brought lots of new running friends and lots of goals met. All my runs are for my running buddy Erica. We are members of IRun4, a nonprofit group that pairs runners with people who can't run. I was matched with Erica in Dec 2013, 5 years ago, and have since developed a very special relationship with her and her family. You can read about Erica and IRun4 HERE.
I have blogged each and every one of my races and they can be found at the links below:
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017

Now, as for 2018... let's go!


January:


Red Nose Half: The most amazing FREE half marathon! It's a beautiful and scenic course in Columbus that goes along the river.


Huff and Puff: One of my favorite trail races, a half marathon held at Dauset Trails.


Atlanta Fat Ass 50k: A free 50k put on by GUTS running at Sweetwater Creek State Park. And the chili contest after the race is the best part.



Good friends at the Red Nose!


The Red Nose

Beautiful, cold day at the Fat Ass 50k


Me and Joel at Huff and Puff


I just had to add this in.. the WORST race photo ever, at the Huff and Puff. It's so terrible that I love it and has become one of my favorites. Ha!


February:
Hot Chocolate 15K: There are very few road races I still do, but this is one. I do it for the hoodie :) This year was quite possibly the worst race conditions in the history of race conditions. It literally POURED the entire race. And to top it off, it was like 33 degrees. AWFUL!! But, we got it done and lived to tell about it. Normally I love this race. The weather is usually pretty good. The finishers chocolate and fantastic Hoodie every year keep me coming back!


This was before the race. We sat in the car contemplating quitting, or just doing the 5K. A certain someone, not pointing fingers Elaine Mangham... talked us all into getting out there and getting it done! NO one can tell her no. 

March:

Publix Marathon: This was my 6th Publix! This is another of my favorite road races. I have a love hate relationship with this race, because the course is tough as nails. The hills in Atlanta are no joke


Jogging for Jude 5K: I don't do many 5k's, but this one is a special one. The race benefits Down Syndrome and an amazing family with a sweet little guy named Jude who has down syndrome. They also have adopted another little boy, almost the same age named Max who also has down syndrome! Love this family and I will always be a part of it as long as they have it. This year I won 2nd in the stroller competition and Kennedy won 1st place in her age group!



Some of the awesome views from the Publix


Jogging for Jude

Winners!

April:
April Fools Hike: This was a great day on the trail, a through hike on the Pine Mountain Trail. This was not a run technically- I did run the last 2.5 miles trying to beat Tammie out though.. haha! But I wanted to include it, because it was such a fun day!
Ragnar Trail Atlanta: I LOVE Ragnar. I love the atmosphere and the camping and the comradery that comes along with a team event. We ran all through night, camped out, ate lots of junk food and just had a good time all around. Each team member was responsible for running about 15 miles in separate loops. The team runs a total of 123 miles in less than 24 hours. If you have never tried a Ragnar, I highly suggest it. It's an experience you will never forget!


Some of my hiking buddies at the April Fool's Hike

Run. Camp. Eat S'mores!


I dragged my friend Tammie, against her will to Ragnar. She loved it though!


Our super awesome team "Will Run For Food"!

May:
Grayson Highlands 50K-  This race, by far, HANDS DOWN is the most scenic course in the south. The race takes place at Grayson Highlands State Park in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia. The park will leave you feeling as if you have been to Scotland and ran on the hillsides splattered with rocks. The park also boasts WILD PONIES! As well as free roaming steer. This place is like nothing you will find anywhere else on the east coast. If you don't run ultras and would never do this race, do yourself a favor and go visit this place! Kevin and I got an awesome cabin secluded in the woods and made a weekend of it. 







June: 
Dam Yeti 50: 
This was my first 50 mile race. It was just so awesome, there are no words to describe it. I was surrounded by my closest friends and made lots of new ones! The entire race is ran on the Virginia Creeper Trail in Damascus, Virginia. It's such an awesome little town. We rented a house right downtown and while I ran, my girls went and hiked that amazing Grayson Highlands I just told you about. The Dam Yeti is put on by Yeti Trail Runners and I quickly fell in love with this group. The race director, Jason Green, is by far the best our there. He stands outside all day long at the finish line and hugs EVERY single finisher that comes through that shoot. I loved this race for so many reasons, first the trail was perfect and the scenery was great. Second, I met a group of people right at the start and stayed with them almost the entire race. They got me through! And third, I had my peeps waiting for me at the finish line! It was just an all around great weekend and a race I will never forget. 
Glacier Half Marathon:
The Glacier half was more than just a race. This was a trip out west to do what I love best, HIKE! I was able to watch another friend cross the finish line of her first half marathon! We had the best time. If you would like to read ALL about my trip to Glacier and Waterton National Parks, click HERE



We hiked some of the AT when we first arrived.


Start line





The beautiful Creeper Trail


The crew that got me through this!


Best finish line hug in the world!




My favorite gals at the finish!


  
Pics from the Glacier Half Marathon


Hiking!



July:

Peachtree Road Race 10K

All American 10K (in PTC)

I completed my 7th Peachtree Road race this year. I got to see another friend cross the finish line for her 10K! I love my local  running buddies and appreciate all the hours we put in together each and every week.

The Peachtree Road Race





The All American 10k- Laura's first official 10k! This was before we talked her into the half marathon distance next!


My sweer, precious running peeps. So many wonderful talks and advice and conversation we share on the hours we spend pounding the pavement together. Love these gals!


Sunrises every Sunday morning..

August:

XTERRA Auburn Trail Run 10K

This was a random trail run I found online to fufill my August race spot. My friend Stacy  agreed to tag along. It was a beautiful course and ran entirely at Chewacla State Park.


I only got one pic this race! It was rainy and we were ready to head out.

September:

Yeti Snakebite 50K
This was a super hot 50K with the Yeti Trailrunners at Sweetwater Creek State Park. I have ran many times at Sweetwater, but the course for this particular race took me down some new trails! It was probably one of the hottest races this year, and 31 miles of it! But I had a great time and finally got to meet a lot of the Southside Trail Runners!


My gold bling I earned!


Southside Trail Runners at the Snakebite


No Yeti race is complete without finish line hugs!

October:

Mystery Mountain Marathon

Pine Mountain Big 50

Marine Corp Marathon

Jack-O-Lantern Jog 5K

Wow, what a month October was! I had 3 big long distance races back to back to back weekends. And smashed in there somewhere I snuck in the annual Jack Jog to benefit my sisters school. The first of the big races was the Mystery Mountain Marathon. It takes place at Fort Mountain State Park and is the most scenic and beautiful race in the state of Georgia. It's tough as nails and not for the faint of heart. It has some serious elevation gain, but makes up for it with the views. My sister, in a funny chain of events, ended up doing the half marathon and it kicked her tail pretty good! 
The second race was the Pine Mountain Big 50. I did this race last year, and although it is small, it's on my favorite trail and just had to do it again! I love the Pine Mountain Trail and will never turn down the opportunity to run it!
The last of the 3 was the Marine Corp Marathon. I was so excited to be apart of this event. The enthusiasm and people at the race are just amazing.  I did this with my best friend, and it was her first marathon. She did such a great job and I am so proud of her for finishing so strong. We enjoyed the weekend in DC and got to check out some museums and had a great time!


Ladies of Southside Trail Runners


The best views in Georgia!


My poor sister had no idea what she was getting into with this race!


Never know what you will find on a race course.. The Jack Jog



Jack Jog with my peeps! 



Pine Mountain Big 50





My best friend and I after we finished the Marine Corp Marathon! 


November:

Duncan Ridge 50K

Tough Turkey Half Marathon

I bit the bullet and signed up for one of the toughest 50K's in the state! The Duncan Ridge is a beautiful trail in North Georgia, connected to the Coosa Back Country trail and starting at Vogel State Park. I had never been to Vogel or been on the Coosa or Duncan Ridge trails. They are absolutely stunning and by far the toughest mountains in Georgia. The race is an out and back with over 10,000 feet of elevation gain. This was the most climbing I had ever done. The race also has strict cut off times. I was actually the last person to finish with only seconds to spare. This was my first DFL! I don't mind it though, because there were plenty of people who DNF! So, I will take my title of DFL and be happy with it. 
I also participated in the annual Tough Turkey a few days later. I managed to finish in 1:59 which I was happy with considering my Duncan Ridge race was just a few days prior. I enjoyed racing the tough turkey with my god friend Ashley who I had not ran much with this year!


There was already snow at the top of the mountains on the Coosa trail!


Amazing views from the tops of the mountains.


I had to bring my poles for this race, it was NO joke!



My beautiful DFL (dead f-ing last) on Ultra Sign up...
literally 2 seconds before cut off!


December:

Pine Mountain 40 miler

My last race of  2018 was the Pine Mountain 40 miler. I have done this race for several years, but I have always done the 19 miler lighter version. This year I signed up for the big daddy! The weather was just horrible. It poured rain all day and although it wasn't cold, it definitely was not warm. I was dressed all wrong and after 25 miles I let the weather get the best of me. I have endured some bad conditions, but this ranks up near the top. If I had been wearing my water proof rain jacket I would of done better, but it was too late for that. I will be better prepared next year. I will be back to complete the 40 miler!



Still my favorite place to run- The Pine Mountain Trail
















No comments:

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...