Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nicole's Famous Homemade Oreos and The Ladies Christmas Party

Well, these oreos are not really famous. And I am fairly certain that my friend Nicole didn't invent the recipe... but she did share it with me. And my kids, as well as hers are HUGE fans! She made these for them this summer while we visited and I have made them twice since then! Every year at our church we have a Ladies Christmas ornament and cookie swap. So I thought this would be a great cookie to bring, since they get great reviews.
Before I share the recipe, I would like to share a little bit about our Ladies Christmas party. It has been going on for several years now. It started out very mild. Very peaceful and relaxed. But over the years, has gotten heated. And hilarious! Let me explain....
Every lady brings an ornament. It must be wrapped. The first year, we all brought cheap, whatever we could find, ornaments. We have since stepped up our game. But none the less, we all get a number. Whoever draws number 1 gets to pick an ornament first. She must unwrap it in front of everyone and show the ornament she received. Then it's number 2's turn. She may either unwrap a new ornament or take an ornament that's already been opened. And so on and so on. Over the years, we have developed a certain set of rules to make the game fair, and less brutal. But it's basically like white elephant. We always have so much fun! This year, I actually ended up with the ornament I really wanted!! I had to beg, plead, bargain and cry. But I got it! Ha ha ha!

My ornaments!

The reason I loved these so much is probably obvious. Three sweet little angel girls, just like my precious, sweet little baby girls! I actually did threaten to sharpee marker some little horns on one... but I will wait and see how she turns out ;)

And now, here is the Oreo recipe!

Homemade Oreos:
1 box Devil Food cake
1/2 cup melted Crisco
1 egg
vanilla icing

Stir cake mix, melted crisco and egg together. Batter will be dry and crumbly. Roll into 1 inch balls.  Place on greased cookie sheet and cook for 7-10 mins at 350 degrees. 
When the cookies are done, drop the pan on the counter to flatten them out, or use a spatula to push them flat. When cookies have cooled completely, take 2 cookies and sandwich them together with a teaspoon of icing. Enjoy! makes about 15 Oreos.


The ingredients. Sooo simple!


Mix it all up.


Roll into balls.


Cook for 7-10 mins.


Flatten out when done.

You can color your icing if you like. I used Christmas colors.


Put icing in the middle of two cookies.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...