Friday, February 08, 2013

Chicken and Green Bean Casserole

Ok, I will admit it. I am a HUGE Rachael Ray fan. As in.. I DVR the show every morning and watch it after I run everyday (while Kennedy is napping). I usually don't miss it. My Nana used to watch it as well. We would hash out the show everyday after it! So, this week on the show, Rachael had casserole week. I had never thought of putting chicken into green bean casserole. I was so excited. Also among this recipe- homemade cream of mushroom soup and cheese. Now we are talking! Okay, now onto the recipe! It was truly delicious. I will link you to the RR version, and then show you mine. I also made a special dairy free version for my sister. I will add in the recipe the dairy-free changes.



Chicken and Green Bean Casserole:
2 cans Green Beans
2 Cups Chicken shredded
1.5 cans of Cans chicken stock  (2 if you leave out cream)
3/4 cup heavy cream (I left this out for the dairy free)
Salt
Pepper
8 oz. container of mushrooms (I use button)
4-6 cloves garlic minced
4 tablespoons Butter (I substituted Crisco here for the dairy free)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup flour (may need more depending on how thick it gets)
3/4 cup cheese ( I used shredded mozzarella)
1 Large can french fried onion topping

Saute mushrooms in butter and olive oil for 5-7 mins. Add in minced garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup flour until incorporated. Slowly whisk in chicken stock. Cook until bubbly and thick on med heat. Slowly pour in heavy cream. Continue cooking 2-3 more mins until thick and creamy. Add in shredded chicken and green beans. Mix well and put into casserole dish. Cook at 375 degrees for 30 mins until bubbly. Put topping on and place back in oven an additional 5 mins until topping is heated.

Original Recipe:
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/chicken-and-green-bean-casserole/


Saute mushrooms and garlic in oil and butter.


Mix in flour until incorporated.



Whisk in chicken broth.


Whisk in cream.


Add in green beans.


Add in chicken.




Pour in casserole dish and bake at 375 for 30 mins.


Add onion topping and cook an additional 5 mins.




1 comment:

Harriette Connell said...

I'll have to try this!

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...