Monday, September 09, 2013

French Toast Casserole

I never make french toast. I enjoy french toast, but I have never taken the time to make it. This is a really easy way to make it, without dipping each piece and cooking them individually. The actual recipe I used left out an important ingredient. Cinnamon! I didn't realize this until I had already poured the egg/milk on the bread. So I added a sprinkle of cinnamon/sugar to the top and then baked. Also, if you wanted this to be a little fancier, you could cut the crust off to make it more aesthetically pleasing. This needs to made the night before, or at least 6 hours, so that it has time to soak in fridge. We had some leftovers that I reheated for my Sunday School class the next day and I don't think this is very good warmed up, but it was okay. Just a little gummy.Okay, here is the recipe:

French Toast Casserole: 

1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
1 teaspoon cinnamon (more or less to your liking)


Combine melted butter and brown sugar. Spread into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Beat eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Layer a single layer of Texas Toast on top of the butter/brown sugar. Spoon 1/2  the egg mix on top. Add 2nd layer of toast. Spoon remaining mix on top. Cover and place in the fridge overnight. Bake at 350 degrees from 45 minutes. Keep covered with tin foil the first 30 mins. Sprinkle with powder sugar. 


Melt butter and add sugar.


Spread in dish.


Beat egg, vanilla, cinnamon and milk


Pour over toast.


Cover and refrigerate over night.


Bake at 350 for 45 mins. And sprinkle with powdered sugar.







No comments:

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...