Thursday, January 10, 2013

Semi-Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

This recipe is another one I "borrowed" from a very good friend. When I started thinking about it, I realized the first time she made it for me was when Jada was born! Almost 7 years ago. And it is still a staple recipe in my home! It is one of the kids favorites, and mine too! You can make this as "homemade" or "semi-homemade" as you chose. It's very easy and very delicious. It's all in one dinner that requires no side items, and can be made ahead and frozen to pull out on a stressful night. You could use fresh veggies, frozen, or can. Just make sure they are fully cooked before adding them into the recipe. I usually use 2 cans of Veg-All.  You also have your choice of chicken. You could use canned, boiled, or leftover. Just make sure it is fully cooked, and shredded or cubed before adding to the pot pie. I usually use 8 chicken tenders. I cut them up into bite size pieces and pan saute in a little olive oil with salt and pepper. 



Chicken Pot Pie:

1/2 cup butter
chopped onion (I omit this)
1 can of chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups cooked chopped chicken
2 cups of veggies (your choice)
2 roll out pie crust
1 egg yolk whisked with water.

Melt butter in pan and saute onions 5 mins. Add flour, stir 2-3 mins. Whisk in can of chicken broth, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce until thick and bubbly. Add chicken and veggies. Roll out pie crust and place in pie dish. Brush the egg yolk wash over the outside edges. Pour mixture into pie crust. Add top crust and seal/pinch sides together. Push down with fork if you like. Brush the rest of the egg wash on the top of the pie. Cut 4 slits in the middle of the pie and bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 mins.



Cook chicken.



Saute Onions


Whisk in flour, salt, pepper and worch.


Cook until thick and bubbly.


Add in chicken and veggies.


Ready to put in pie.


Brush with egg wash.


Cut slits and bake.



Yummy!



No comments:

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...