Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sesame Chicken and Fried Rice

I love Chinese food! Especially sesame chicken! However, I had to leave the sesame seeds out of this recipe because my husband had diverticulitis. But it is JUST as good without them! Of course, you can always sprinkle them on at the end. I wanted to make this a little healthier, so I decided to try and find a healthier version of chicken nuggets  I came across one on Pinterest that used Bisquick and cooked right in the oven. So I gave it a try, and it worked out perfect for this recipe. I also avoided the fryer, which was my actual goal. Below, I will give you recipes for the chicken, the sweet and sour sauce to put on the chicken, and the link to my fried rice.  Then all you have to do is put it all together! What a great alternative to eating out at the Chinese Restaurant and spending a fortune! Ok, here we go..



Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1.5 teaspoon Soy sauce
3/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
Few drops of red food coloring (it will be brown if you leave this out, and I was worried the kids would freak out, so I made it red like the restaurant!)

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and whisk till thick. Set aside until later. Taste to see if you need to add anything. This was more of a taste and see kind of recipe.


Baked Chicken Nuggets:
8-10 chicken tenders, thawed and cut into small nuggets
2 cups of Biquick
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1-2 eggs 

Place chicken nuggets in a large zip bag with beaten egg. Shake well. In another large zip bag combine Bisquick, paprika and garlic salt. Shake well. Place egg coated chicken nuggets in the Bisquick bag and shake to coat. Place the coated nuggets on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through.

Fried Rice: 
http://thehawkinsfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/easy-hibachi-dinner-night.html


Paprika, Bisquick and Garlic salt


Use large zipbags, it will make your cleanup much easier!



Coat the chicken in the mix!



Bake at 450 degrees.



Cook the Sweet and Sour sauce.



Coat the chicken in the sweet and sour sauce.


Serve over the fried rice!




1 comment:

Couponfacet said...

Thank you for instructing about Sesame Chicken and Fried Rice. I hope keep posting.

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...