Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Special Little Pillow

When Nana started chemotherapy treatments, Momma took off school for several weeks and took her to her treatments, and stayed with her to help her through the worst of it. After Mom went back to school, Kennedy and I would check in on Nana during the day and bring her lunch, or drop her off at the clinic for treatments. This was about the time that I was trying to get Kennedy to sleep through the night in her crib. After a few nights, we realized that she slept much better with a pillow. Well, of course when I told Nana that she slept well with a full size pillow in the crib, Nana was very quick to give me a replacement! She handed me a very old, very soft, small, sage colored pillow. I could tell from looking at it that it was old. She told me that it was handmade by her mother, and that it was hand stuffed with real cotton. None of that polyester fiber fill. It was soo soft and just the perfect size. She told me to take it, even though I told her it was not necessary, that she had no need for it. So, I took the pillow and gave it to Kennedy. She immediately grabbed hold and rubbed it on her head. So, we began giving her her "Nana Pillow" when she laid down for naps and bedtime. She loves that pillow more than any other toy! She would carry it around all day if I would let her! Nana never knew how much she loves that pillow, but I sure do wish she was here to tell her about it! She would be so happy. I don't have many pictures of Nana and Kennedy, and she didn't get a chance to hold her too much while she was sick, but something about Kennedy and that pillow just warms my heart. As I tiptoed into her room tonight to check on her, I couldn't help but smile, and shed a little tear when I peeked into the crib and saw this...

1 comment:

Harriette Connell said...

Aww, so sweet! I'm crying right along with you!

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...