Monday, October 29, 2012

Southern Collard Greens!

I'm sure this recipe will not be quite as popular as others, but here we go! I actually love collard greens! My sister does too. So I tried my hand at a Paula Dean version. We both REALLY liked this recipe and decided that we would use this one from now on! 

Collard Greens
ease **** taste ****


1 large bag of chopped collard greens 
1 tablespoon season salt 
1 tablespoon House Season (see recipe below)
1/2 lb smoked meat (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones) 
1 tablespoon butter

House Season-

  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder
  • Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months


Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add season salt and ham hocks. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 hour. Remove the large stems from the bag of collards. Add the entire bag of greens and the butter. Cook for an hour or until tender. You can also use a fresh bunch of collards as well. Just wash them well, strip the leaves from the stalk and roll up and chop. I just chose the lazy route for this batch! I actually let mine cook 2 hours on simmer with the lid on.

'

 Boil water and ham first for 1 hour.


Add the greens and cook for at least 1 hour more,



Almost done!!


No comments:

Bighorn 100

           This was my 8th attempt at a 100 mile buckle. I love the 100 mile race- it pushes every ounce of physical and mental strength I h...